Sunday, January 24, 2010

DONA Certification

You are expected to complete your certification within two years of taking the training. My pregnancy and nursing interrupted my doula practice for almost a complete year. I took my last client when I was five months pregnant and started up again when my baby was almost 6 months. I ended up getting a 6 month extension. We last Wednesday after frantic typing, retyping, photocopying and compiling, I mailed in my certification. I had most of the required reading completed before I took my training. I have had ten clients and fortunately very positive reviews by Doctors and nurses, clients too! I wrote three birth stories and submitted documentation for each birth. I wrote an essay on labor support as well.

I am so excited to have it all completed and eager to advertise as
Laura Finnegan CD(DONA)

I have an amazing support system: my husband who is beginning to accept that births happen and I have to run, my friend and an English teacher who proofread and edited my certification essay,as well as my sister and mother-in-law and father-in-law who are on-call child care when I go on call. I am so grateful to them each. Being a doula requires lots of family support. Thank you!

I have about a two month wait while my packet is reviewed.

I am working on a doula co-op or partnership. Most doulas who practice in town are private practice. I am eager to start a doula group. There are two of us now.

No comments:

Post a Comment